* Spot gold was down 0.2% to $1,844.51 per ounce by 0044 GMT, after having touched its lowest since Dec. 15 on Friday. U.S. gold futures gained 0.5% to $1,844.
* U.S. Treasury yields held agency after a plunge in payrolls final month raised expectations of extra federal spending to help the virus-battered financial system, serving to the greenback rise 0.2% in opposition to rival currencies.
* A stronger greenback makes bullion costlier for holders of different currencies, whereas greater bond yields improve the chance price of holding the non-interest yielding gold.
* The U.S. financial system shed jobs for the primary time in eight months in December because the nation buckled beneath an onslaught of COVID-19 infections.
* U.S. President-elect Joe Biden stated the U.S. jobs report issued on Friday reveals People want extra instant aid now and that taking motion now will assist the financial system even with deficit financing.
* U.S. Home Speaker Nancy Pelosi instructed lawmakers late Sunday that they’d name on Vice President Mike Pence and the cupboard to take away President Donald Trump from workplace earlier than transferring to impeachment.
* Bodily gold reductions slipped to their lowest since June in prime client China final week, as a stronger yuan inspired some shopping for.
* Speculators upped their bullish positions in COMEX gold and silver contracts within the week to Jan. 5, knowledge confirmed on Friday.
* Silver declined 1% to $25.12 an oz., having plunged as a lot as 9.8% on Friday.